View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #49
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Yesss yes yes!! I want to hear more about the NA version of both those engines. But lets play with numbers;
LS3 438hp
LT1 455hp
Detune twin turbo DOHC 500hp, massive tq
Better tune DOHC 550hp.

So they are going to need NA 4.2l of 475hp at mimimum and the 5.0l a minimum of 500hp IMO.

So all those turbos for 500hp? ...I dont know. Good for EPA and emissions I guess.

My wish; 490hp 4.2l and a 540hp 5.2l NA. But that wont happen unless moon revin setup...
I am guessing way over my pay grade here and probably way off base but I would bet the turbos are there more for torque purposes than HP (and most likely emissions as well. Let's face it high HP N/A engines are going to be a thing of the past). From my knowledge, smaller OHC typically don't make a ton of torque, which is probably why they slapped the pair of hairdryers in there, to give it some low end grunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Yes, the N/A versions of these motors will need to rev high to get high HP numbers. Hence the DHOC.

But what I don't see (so far), is confirmation of the rumor that these engines will be flat plane crank (FPC). This article (the OP posted) doesn't mention FPC, but that was part of the original rumor about the 4.2 and 5.5 DHOC motors. A 5.5L engine would have to rev over 8,000 RPM's to get to the 540HP you would like. A FPC would help with that. BUT, as we have seen with the Voodoo, large displacement and FPC tend to have vibration issues. We will have to wait and see...

But, a 550 HP (or so) N/A 5.5 FPC DHOC might just make a good engine choice for a Z/28...
It would be a great engine for a Z/28 but like you said to make that kind of power it would have to rev to the moon. Basically it would have to do everything people love to bash the VooDoo about. Make power, scream to the moon, but it would probably lack low end torque like the VooDoo.

but since it would be a GM engine it would be assembled by the hand of god and have no flaws lol.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote