View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 03:57 AM   #12
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
So, tonight I started on the 'rear' upper control arm bushings. Got them from JDP and took to the task.

I had to undo the cradle again along with the 'just' installed 1LE shocks. Hated to do it, but I forgot to order the bushing.

So, following the same procedures above, I got to the point where I could unbolt, the upper control on in the rear.

I had to use a 'flexible' ratchet wrench from Lowes to unbolt the two 'bushing' bolts:

Then, unbolted the 'other' bolt that holds the arm in place:

Then unbolted the upper control arm bolt:

Took off the brake line:

I then 'rotated' the arm around the shock and out it came:

I pretty much followed BMR's instructions for R&R (although these are JDP versions):

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/BK039.pdf

So, now that they are off, taking off the bushing was easy. Just unbolted the bolt and slide on the new one:

Put the new on one and ... OPPS, something was amiss!

So, contacted JDP and this is what I told them:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo
Tyler:

Here is what I'm seeing:

The ones you sent have too large a gap -- I can't get the bushing bolts to line up:

Yours:

Stock:

Same #:

Did I miss something?

Does not look like they'll fit as the 'larger' opening (where it should slide onto the arm) is on the wrong side.

-Don
Now, the follow-up:

Quote:
Found the problem. The inner sleeve was in backwards on both bushings.

So off to harbor freight and bought a table top press. That took longer to put together than pressing in/out the sleeve!:

Here is what it looked like after redoing it:

This is what it was before I redid it:

So I got it done and glad I didn't have to 're-order' ;o)

You might want to check the stock and see if others are like that (or, I assume you may do it 'real time' -- may want to 'verify' before sending...

-Don
So, now that its right, I was able to re-install the arm and bolt/torque AND loctite everything. You'll want to Loctite the bolts as some are Torque to Yield (TTY) and most everyone does not replace the bolts -- checked with Tyler and that's what JDP does:

Bolting up:

Corrected bushing in arm:

Assembly:

So, the rear is bolted up. I'm heading out in the AM to get the 'new' shoes for the ZL1 Wheels!

I'll also update this thread when I do the 'radius' inserts on the front...

Of special note:

I left the 'bolt' on the bushing (the one horizontal) a bit loose in order to line up the 2 bushing bolts. Once those were in and things aligned, I then torqued everything up. I loctited all the bolts just to be safe (blue loctite).

Here is the image to the bushing on JDP site. This is how I verified the sleeve was in wrong. You'll see the 'larger' opening is extended out of the bushing that is supposed to slide on towards the control arm -- that was my clue:

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 07-01-2017 at 04:13 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote