Thread: More Horses
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #105
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintStick View Post
One thing to remember is that to use the hp on street, you need insurance. Has anyone priced coverage for 500hp? I'm guessing it'll be 1200/yr + for good driving records for guys (and gals) over 30. Heard that when the Viper came out, half of the cars were in accidents within first year. Too much hp for street. I know Camaro drivers are much better qualified, but things happen fast in traffic.

Just some thoughts - sorry for running on with the mouth.
That is a very good point actually. I went on Progressive really quick just to see what the insurance would be on a GT500 since it is the most comparable car in production today. $1011/year for me (I am 25) OUCH!. Needless to say that is not going to cut it!

There was a great thread started on another forum discussing the topic of HP and at what point is there just too much HP? This was a major point of conversation, but I personally still haven't determined when I think a certain level of HP is too much for the street. I mean it obviously comes down to how you drive individually. I mean a kid can turn a 150 hp car into a projectile just as deadily as a 500 HP car, but it is the availability of the 500 HP that makes us want to punch it a lot harder. But where do we cross that line. I can guarantee you that I don't punch the gas on my wife's Civic ever, but you get me behind the wheel of a GTO and I can go through a tank of gas in about 30 mins. So, when does a certain level of HP become just too much HP for the street? 350, 400, 450, 550? Personally I think the same guy that is likely to wreck a 350HP car is just as likely to wreck a 500HP car.

I am rambling now, so I will just let others weigh in.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote