View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 10:58 AM   #8901
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Hindsight is 20/20, but I do believe that nearly all GM vehicles should've had it. I know GM decided EV or nothing, so it is what it is, but in my tiny humble opinion a bunch of cars running around using Voltec like technology is where we should be in the car world right now. Toyota gets it, even as they move on with full EV development.

For every GM vehicle to have Voltec would be prohibitively expensive. Even more expensive than going 100% EV. It requires a fully functional EV propulsion system, an almost fully functional ICE propulsion system, and sophisticated electronic controls systems to manage split second handoffs between the two systems. With Volt it made sense because battery size could be reduced (18 kWh vs 40 - 60 kWh) at a time when battery prices were in the $3-500/kWh range. Reducing the battery size offset the cost of the ICE and the controls systems. Now that battery prices are in the $100/kWh range and dropping, more battery makes sense, especially if you get to eliminate the engine, transmission, exhaust system, fuel system, and greatly simplify the control system.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote