View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
My origional plan was intake and cat back first then headers and high flow cats a few years latter. I always figured that headers were more risky and that you'd definitely need to tune it afterwards, so I was leaning more towards the cat back since I know you can run those with no tunes.

Are you talking about doing high flow cats or deleting them and putting in a test pipe? I have seen a video with the secondary cats deleted and there was a huge sound difference but that always worries me about passing inspection, we have to do emissions every two years in VA.

Another reason I was leaning more towards the cat back is because I saw a stock NPP and the muffler is rediculously large and the pipes and crushed flat making it look like it only lets about half of the exhaust through, maybe even less.

The cat back runs $1500-1800, what would headers run?
You'll see noticeable gains in sound with either high flow cats or no cats. I had a full muffler delete on my 5th gen with the stock manifolds and cats and it was pretty tame. Track mode on the NPP or a fuse pull is essentially the same thing. A full cat delete will be more raspy so keep that in mind. In terms of inspection it all depends on your state. For my Maryland inspection I stunk out the whole garage with no cats and they passed me because I didn't have a CEL. Top of the line headers from ARH, SW, and Kooks usually run around the 1k-1.2k I believe. It might be more with cats.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote