View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Guessing the Tapshift feature is more of an enjoyment/have to have thing then something to actually use on a daily basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post
I use mine just for the fun of it, though I could see how being able to manually control and override which gear you're in (in most cases...) could be useful from a performance standpoint. I only ever get to use mine when I'm out on more rural roads, though I still don't feel very comfortable driving with it because I still don't really know what I'm doing as far as manual operation is concerned.
Or it could be the difference in mental outlook concerning where the ultimate authority for transmission gear selection belongs.

IOW, if your thinking is that of a pure automatic transmission driver (don't need more than P, R, D) you aren't likely to use it very often, as it will feel like "extra work".

But if you've got much of a manual transmission mentality (as you might get from driving other cars with MT, motorcycles, or maybe even "10-speed" bicycles), you'll be more apt to use it because you'd be somewhat accustomed to making shifts happen when you wanted them to happen. Most people do develop a "feel" for which gear is appropriate for the speed they're driving at.

P.S. I manually shift most any automatic transmission car most all the time . . . on the rare occasion that I have to drive one in the first place.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote