View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I've always seen the Corvette as an exotic-fighter, and I've never given that up. There are some exotics in the front engine-RWD category, but I always hoped GM would move into the mid-engine space, and the Corvette is GM's existing exotic. There's always been a lot of speculation that this could happen. Logistically, that long hood would become useless—let's not forget the changes that would be necessary to the trunk area and moving up the passenger cabin—so a C7 doesn't really make sense as a mid-engined Corvette. Maybe GM will decide to make a Cadillac Cien to satisfy the likes of me.

With regard to the article, I really don't like the SS being associated with the Corvette. I can forgive branding the Corvette as its own brand, and that's how it sells in some places, so that is okay with me.

Finally, there's the Mustang. I've got to respect that Ford did some good marketing here and paid for all the right plugs in movies and pop culture. There's something to be said about all the guys at my base driving Mustangs because they want an American sports car. They're old enough, however, for me to forgive that because there wasn't a Camaro on the market. The new ones are too expensive for the junior enlisted sailors here to get into them. On the other hand, the officers, chiefs, and more experienced petty officers have some nicer rides. The interesting demographic here is that I've seen more 5thgen Camaros than new Mustangs, and that says something. For all the media garbage we're fed about the American nature of the Mustang, servicemen all hyped up on the red, white, and blue are buying Camaros when given the chance. I would safely argue that debunks the Mustang's status as the most American car in the pony class.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote