View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #37
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
American products are made all over the world now and our hard earned dollar does not completely stay here. Same w/ buying Toyota. Sure, you might be helping your family that works there, but you are putting even more money in the executives pockets that own the company. Toyota (and other foreign car co's) are given MAJOR tax breaks for building their assembly factories here. GM pays hundreds of millions per year in taxes for their factories. Toyota was given something like a $200 million tax break for building in San Antonio. Now, who's pockets are getting lined more in this situation?? So, buy what you will. Your direct deposit into the hands of the foriegn automaker does nothing to guarantee your family security in the long run. Imagine losing the big 3 to Toyota and Honda....hundreds of thousands of jobs lost....retirement plans canned....no medical benefits to be paid....families suffer. Toyota and Honda say they will open new factories here...if they pay NO taxes and pay minimum dollar for factory workers while putting all of our money back into their economy.

Go ahead and purchase Toyota if you wish. That WILL help your family in the present. Meanwhile, there are thousands of other families that depend on the american dollar to keep their american factory open. Don't buy american and we close our factories. I don't have to tell you the detrimental affects this will have on our economy.

You have a choice...put your money into american made, or foreign made. Putting it into american will guarantee the livelyhood of our county in the long run. Buying into foreign will guarantee your family the present. That is how I see it and THAT IS MY OPINION.

Believe me, I understand your position, and I am in absolutely NO WAY advocating not buying American made products/autos.

However, your argument that by purchasing foreign it only helps in the short-run is a little confusing to me. If Toyota contnues to see the sales and profits that they have enjoyed over the course of the last decade, then I am sure they will continue to build vehicles in America and doing so will continue to employ thousands of American workers.

I can see how those with out a personal stake in this see an easy decision to me made. Buy American and preserve hundreds of thousands of jobs... however you have to also consider the thousands upon thousands of workers that foreign automakers also employ in America. I mean we are litterally robbing Paul to save Peter either way you look at it.

As for the Tax benefits these foreign automakers were given, I personally do not know the details of the argeements to be able to speak intelligently about them; however, the way I see it is that the US government decided that if that is what they had to do to lure thousands of new jobs tot he US, then that is what they did instead of the alternative.

We can argue this until we are all blue in the face and will get absolutely nowhere becasue all of our convictions are so strong, and that is a good thing, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited by Casull; 02-10-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote