View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Its always sad to hear of fellow Stingray owners having major issues. Keeping the motor problem in perspective, I doubt more than a handful of the over 32000 built so far have had problems to the point of needing rebuilding or replacement. Its just that when such problems occur the owner of the car is very vocal about it, and justifiably so. I would not be concerned about a design flaw or such, as the vast majority of owners have had no trouble. I myself have over 16000 miles with no problems at all.

Red1Le, I suspect very, very few techs anywhere have had to rebuild a Stingray motor so far. I would insist that only their Stingray-certified tech touch the car, and ask to see his certification paperwork. If the dealership doesn't have such a tech, demand from GM they move it to a dealership who has one. From what I understand, a big part of the certification is training on the LT1 motor. And keep in mind, tearing the engine down for investigation doesn't necessarily mean they will rebuilt it. Depending on what they find, replacement may still be an option. They just want to determine the problem before deciding on a solution. It could be something relatively simple that when fixed will allow the original motor to run happily for 300,000 miles, without the expense of a replacement. I've seen it before.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote