View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
I'm a terrible granny shifting fool. As far as downshifting into 1st rather than 3rd? Never done that one. You'd have to be trashed or severely distracted IMHO to not tell you're in 1st rather than 3rd The fuel cut-off hopefully will save your ass but that would be a nasty sound (and horrible feeling probably as you realize you just grenaded your motor). People tell me that heel & toe work is just a matter of practice but I have relatively small feet (size 8) and most cars I've driven in the past weren't really blessed with pedals well positioned for me to learn this skill.

No lift shifting would scare the hell out of me. I've been in a Cobalt SS with the driver using that feature - it was fast but damn I thought the powertrain was a goner. Chevy swears the motor will handle it though and if you watch the ZL1 instructional video, it stresses that you need to stay 100% in the throttle and quickly jab the clutch to make the system work as advertised. IIRC. Personally, I don't foresee myself making any no lift shifts. Although, ironically, it would be nice on my GTI since it would allow me to stay in the boost on upshifts. But I don't drag race it so not a big deal for me right now.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote