View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
How "tunable" is the BoschBox-equipped DI 3.6 V6, after how many years?

That's what's ahead for the Gen-5 SBC...

While I agree the Bosch ECM will be difficult to get into and start tuning, with time and resources it will be fully open. The LLT's biggest draw back is it's a small market compared to the V8 world. Some people have decided to chase it which has brought the limited tuning that exists today, but if ever aftermarket company were chomping at the bit to get into it it would be a completely different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaksabb View Post
Pure conjecture. People said the same thing about LS6, LS7. I'm sure people worried when Gen III debuted and then again when Gen IV and AFM came out. Remember when OBDII was the end of performance upgrades?
I agree completely. While it will be a struggle relearning everything with a new architecture AND programming strategy, it's not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
I would tend to agree with LPE on this one. The compression ratio on the LT1 is 11 to 1, if the block can handle it it will have to be stroked in order to add boost.
For all the guys who think stock is more power than they will ever need.....really?
I have a LPE Camaro with 706 horses at the rear wheels....I still want more. Windy also has a LPE beast of a car. I guess if you want a cool daily driver its just fine. However if you want to be able cruise and kick butt on the track or strip....a visit to Lingenfelter is just what the doctor ordered.
I don't agree with this. an LS2 is 10.9:1, ls3 is 10.8 or 10.7 depending on where you grab your info from. The new 5.0 coyote is 11:1 as well. All of these responed tremendously well to boost with little to no change in durability if tuned properly.

The biggest draw back will be the fuel system. Increasing output from a mechanical system is not going to be easy. There will be "easy" fixes that work once the limit is reached. Things like methanol injection would work to a degree while still being safe. My fear will be that someone will decide to "add" traditional injectors and a stand alone fuel system to fix any limitations. These technically work, but are notoriously inconsistent.

Again, given time, everything will work out just fine. The aftermarket will develop high output mechanical pumps, and larger injector nozzles. Also, GM is not going to weaken the engine compared to an LS series. They will concentrate on NVH improvements. Typically this means to add material either in quantity, or quality to an engine block, crank, and rods. By doing so, it makes it stronger. Note the crankshafts all use an 8-bolt design for the flywheel compared to a traditional (besides LSA and LS9) 6-bolt.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote