View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #18
bprange

Drives: '94 Red/Black Z/28
I live in Grand Forks, ND and my daily driver is a '94 Z28 (owned since 2002). In ND they do not salt the roads so the car looks fine after four winters up here (senior in college). My first year up here the temps hit -43 without wind chill and about -65 with wind chill. My camaro was one of about four cars that didn't crap out. It has never not started in even the extreme cold. As far as traction goes, I have driven my car a couple winters on summer performance tires and it was pretty much a joke, I had to be extremely careful and plot every move I made in the car (where to park/crossing intersections, ect) This fall I put on all season tires (not even full winter ones) and it is a totally different car. Recently Grand Forks was hit with 12-15 inches of snow and I got around pretty decent. You have to be alert when driving a RWD car (I do not have traction control and have never been in the ditch) and feel what it doing on the road. With some winter driving practice it can actually be a lot of fun. I love to drift around corners full counter lock at about 20-30mph. DO NOT shy away from these cars if winter driving is your only concern.
bprange is offline   Reply With Quote