View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I dug a little into that, and here's what I found in Autoweek...
Quote:
Ford quashes AutoWeek’s ’Stang sedan report, announces Mustang-based sedan concept for Detroit
By BOB GRITZINGER

Ford officials have “categorically” denied plans to build a sedan or wagon version of the iconic Mustang, but at the same time confirmed that the Dearborn automaker will show a Mustang-based, rear-drive, four-door concept at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

AutoWeek reported in its Dec. 18 issue and on autoweek.com that Ford product planners last fall met to discuss ways to take the Mustang mainstream and global, possibly by expanding the lineup to include sedan or wagon variants.

In a release issued Dec. 15, Ford said the company has no plans to expand the Mustang line. The release stated:

“Ford Motor Company today made clear that recent media speculation concerning an expanded Mustang line—including a sedan and wagon model to be sold in global markets—is not true. Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique, two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car.

“At the 2007 North American International Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as ‘The Interceptor,’ is based on the Mustang’s rear-wheel-drive architecture but it is not a Mustang and no production plans have been announced. Additional information on the Ford rear-drive concept will be available Dec. 31, 2006.”

AutoWeek stands by its sources who say Ford is developing various models from the sixth-generation Mustang platform, due in 2011. Those sources suggest a four-door Mustang would be a strong option, especially in the global marketplace. Other options include a four-door Lincoln with independent rear suspension and a twin-turbo V6, which is rumored for a debut at the Detroit show along with the Interceptor.