View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redride View Post
CNET did a test with the C7 Z51 without the MRC Option:

"However, most of the models I drove lacked this option, and just had the fixed suspension, which felt surprisingly soft. Given the stiff body, the suspension tuning made the ride feel like a down-filled mattress top strapped over an airplane wing. Chevrolet encouraged me to drive the Stingray over some very roughly paved roads, and I was impressed with the level of comfort. However, I felt cornering suffered a little, as the car leaned a little in each turn.
Taking up any cornering slack from the suspension, Chevrolet fits the Stingray Z51 with an electronic limited slip differential, a bit of technology that improves on the mechanical limited slip diff used in the standard Stingray."

http://reviews.cnet.com/coupe-hatchb...-35826211.html
This isn't consistent with many other reviews and I don't believe his comments were necessarily related to the Z51. There are several other reviews that say the Z51 without MRC is very harsh and rough. The base car without Z51 was reported to be soft. The review comments above are consistent with a base car without Z51 so I'm a bit confused. After reading this again, I think the reviewer drove a variety of cars and his comment above wasn't specifically about the Z51 w/o MRC. The only car that has been reported to lean some was the base, non Z-51 car so my bet is the softness he is reporting is relative to that same car.

There are about 12 reviews out at the moment and I'd check them all out. Most are Z51 cars with MRC and there are only a couple that discuss the base car or Z51 w/o MRC. All I have read with the Z51 w/o MRC report a very harsh ride.

Here is the link to Leftlane... Leftlane news review.

Here is the quote from Leftlane where they discuss the Z51 w/o MRC versus the standard car...

Quote:
Both the standard 'Vette and its track-ready Z51 big brother revealed their own distinct personalities during our preview drives on the sun-parched curvy byways outside of Monterey, California.

Stiff to the point of being just the safe side of intolerable on rutted terrain, the Z51 comes alive on smooth pavement. By contrast, the standard Corvette provides a ride that's almost luxury car plush with more wheel travel to soak up undulating terrain. Some buyers might call the Z51 “too much,” while others will argue that the standard car is “too soft.” That split personality is just what Chevrolet had in mind – yet what surprised us the most was how both configurations corner with limited lean, meaty steering feel and unflappable grip (up to 1.03 g's).
Other reviews of the Z51 with MRC report it is very good on touring mode and very stiff on track mode. I think it blends the base car and Z51 w/o MRC into one car. The bottom line, however, is what is "too stiff" for one person is "just right" for another.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT

Last edited by gthal; 08-17-2013 at 06:20 AM.
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote