Thread: More Horses
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #118
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
In principle, I absolutely agree. But if you give _anyone_ that much power, someday they _might_ try to use it. Regardless of training, experience, etc...

The question was more related to the actual _physics_ of using all that power. There simply isn't anyplace to actually use these monstrous amounts of power on the street! 550hp? Can-Am cars had that much power. NASCAR stockers are pretty close to that! Thats almost twice what every WRC car has!

If I were a betting man, I wager that the new Supra is going to have a hybrid drivetrain, and will 'only' make about 325hp, but it will probably make ~400lbft of torque at 0 rpm. Combine that with a really good traction contro system, and you have a nearly unbeatable street-combo. Great performance, great mileage, and a 'clear conscience' (which seems to count for so much these days... hipocrits).

Anyway... sorry to pull this thread off topic.

~LSx

Good call!

Interestingly enough I was reading somewhere (I forget where) that they are considering having somekind of a driving course requirement for anyone that purchases the new s/c corvette. I found this pretty interesting as I can not think of any other mass-produced car that requires this. However, when you can now purchase a 650HP car for around the six figure mark, a part of me wants to think that there should be some other criteria for ownership other than just having a fat wallet.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote