View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
Jessrayo, Did you get any solutions?

The air temp was in the high 80's/low 90's.

I could not finish one single session. 20-22 minutes in, I would get the transmission too hot warning:idle engine.

I've never seen it this bad. Everything is stock in it.

I talked to the mechanic and he warned against heat wrapping. He said that this would make whatever you wrap much hotter and degrade that metal much faster (which would probably void the warranty for those parts).

He said to add a cooler plate or a second cooler.

Since it's still under warranty, I'll probably just take it to the dealer to see what they can find. I believe that one should be able to drive 30 minutes without anything happening.

It was a sad day for Corvettes everywhere, as to try to keep the transmission cooler, I ran the heater on high and would drive hard 3-4 laps and then take a cool down lap and then repeat. I think my car died a little inside to let all the Porsches (and even a spec miata) go by.
I still have not had mine worked on but I have not been back to the track since March....

When I owned a CTS-V I had the exhaust wrapped around the diff to keep the differential from overheating. With heat wrapping on the corvette, the only thing you would wrap is the exhaust pipe from in front of the transmission behind the diff. The metal in the exhaust pipe will be red hot in the area wrapped but it is not load bearing and it is pretty heavy stainless steel. It will not hurt that pipe a bit to wrap it. If you heat wrap a turbo or any other moving part you are asking fr trouble, exhaust pipe is no problem. It is going to be a bit of a pain because you have to take the exhaust off because it is so close to the transmission. Which is even more reason to wrap it.

I talked to Anthony at LG in Plano and they are going to add a cooler for me and a larger trans fluid pan. I will have them wrap the exhaust also. Problem is my other car has been in the shop since last Oct so I don't have anything to drive if I bring in the vette for work. I really doubt your dealer is going to have a fix. This is a specialized problem that a small percentage of corvette owners are experiencing and you will need to find an expert to fix it. Those guys at LG are working through stuff all of the time and may have some alternate fixes by now. I recommend you give them a call.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote