View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
However, the stereotype remains. It really is amazing how strong stereotypes are in people's minds. I mean, look at Toyota. Last year they had how many autos recalled?!?! That is just unacceptable by any standard.

IMO it is going to take a lot more than just GM stepping up and backing their products to finally start to change people's perceptions about American cars. I also think forming some kind of a marketing joint ventue between the Big 3 to launch a new campaign "re-educating" the general public about American cars.
Casull I agree with you, re; people's perception's. I have heard on numerous occassions how "Toyota, Honda, etc. are so reliable", and of a "higher quality than what "The Big Three" has to offer".

It seems to me, whenever there is a recall by Chevrolet, Ford, or Chrysler, it's "front page" news, while when the same thing occurs with Toyota, which happens quite frequently, it seems it's "hush hush".

And the auto-rags. I feel like canceling mine. They are becoming more and more Toyota & Honda oriented. ie; Autoweek has a full-page story on how wonderful Toyota is on the 3rd page. Granted its a paid ad. by Toyota, but I don't want to see it every week!

(I'm starting to rant, so I will stop now)

Bottom line; GM is on the right track, hopefully Ford and Chrysler follow, and hopefully the publics perception will begin to change. If GM and the others continue to improve, eventually the public will have to accept that American cars are reliable and of a good quality and the &*^% media can give them the same coverage/praise as they do to the imports.

(OK I'm really done now)

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote