View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
I'm glad I am not the only one. Chevy should tweak the camaro to get higher sales numbers, not make the Corvette a volume seller. I think that would be a complete disaster. I'd never buy another.
I admit I do not fully understand the coming carbon foot print standards, which go into effect around 2016, but based on what I understand, the standard will be vehicle specific, so an interesting choice for GM is up ahead: do what is needed to make a vehicle line meet the standard or drop that line.

I believe the Stingray as we now know it comes close if not meeting the standard (we will not know until we get the official government report) but if does not meet the future standard, going to a smaller displacement engine could be what is needed to keep the Corvette in production. This could be why the Stingray is a wide body therefore heavier version of the Corvette.

I personally have no doubt the 5.3L will be an engine choice for the Corvette vehicle line. I do not believe it will be a budget offering, but will be in a regular width body with front and rear differences to make sure it is not confused with the Stingray.

I do not see GM dropping the Corvette vehicle line since they were willing to keep it going even in 2010 and 2011 when they had trouble selling 12,000 units. I am pretty sure the gas guzzler tax will not be enough, but come 2016 we will know if my guess is on target.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote