View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #43
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawambo View Post
Hey folks,

I'm 90% certain I'm getting a ZL1 early next year unless insane ADMs slow me down. I DD and track my cars when possible. (Not currently tracking the Wrangler! )

Mostly just for fun, when my heart is set on a car (or anything), I always try to see if I can convince myself of another. So, cars I've been researching and cross-shopping with the ZL1 are:

1. Cayman GT4 - Yes, they themselves are going for over six figures used, but price aside, it would be a fun option.

2. 2017 GT350 - Gets Track Pack standard and prices have come back to earth.

3. Alfa Romeo 4C - Looks better than most, both inside and out, and "fun factor" - but also questionable reliability and subpar track performance in this group.

4. Stingray Z51 - Nothing bad to say about it, but I like that the Camaro has a backseat for my kid.

5. Focus RS - Fun, Rally-inspired, but also subpar track performance in this group

6. BMW M2 - Tossable, fun, mini M.

Your thoughts... Hey, it's something to do while we wait on more info.

Cheers,
N
My advice would be to go drive them all. If you've got that sort of money to wave at a new car, then you deserve to be in the driver's seat of all of them. What one person thinks is the best car in the world you may hate.

I'd tend to be cautious around anything French or Italian. I don't think we get anything French in the USA...but French and Italian cars are pretty renown in the UK for having electrical issues, and I've experienced a few myself (being a former Brit). They could be better now, and it may not bother you for that more exclusive ride, but it's something to consider.

BMW offers class and sophistication. Before owning a 3 series I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, but having owned one I instantly felt what it was all about. I'm not sure where M3s sit in cost these days, but that might be a nice one to try for.

I don't have any behind the wheel experience with the Cayman, but a good friend of mine who owns a Noble M400 had a Cayman R for a few days from a dealership and he was blown away by it. I believe he put it second to his previous Noble (a modified GTO 3R), and found it exceptionally capable. This was before he got the M400, which I'm sure tops his list now. I don't know how the Cayman GT4 compares...slower I presume? What was interesting was that he didn't rate the Cayman S at all. If there can be that big a difference between the S and the R, then the GT4 may well fall short...

The turbocharged Focus' have always been enjoyable track cars. I suspect it'd be very easy to boost the power of the RS with some tuning and very little extra expense. It looks a bit garish, though. The other cars you mention are more...grown-up? So that might make a difference...it's a bit of a toy car, I guess.

I'd look at the GTR and both the Charger and Challenger Hellcats, too. If you can make the time to shop around, it'll be worth it. I've not driven the Hellcat, but the Scat Pak editions are fantastic fun!

You could also consider getting a Camaro LE1 or SS and supercharging it. All the SC companies appear to offer powertrain warranties, and you'd likely be saving some coin over the ZL1. But, it wouldn't be as exclusive, of course.

Go out, drive everything, see which feels the best and who will give you the best deal. Play them all against each other.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote