View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I'm with Gunny G! Take the cover off, inspect it properly, and drive home! I drove 350+ miles from the Museum to my home, and not a nick in the paint. Besides, the transport cover is for just that, transport. It is not a heavy material like a car bra or typical cover. It's more like Tyvek house wrap or a CD sleeve than a real cover. Also, while there are a few holes at the grill location sufficient for the little bit of driving necessary for loading and unloading from trucks, they are no where near sufficient for cooling at highway speeds. The last thing you want to do is overheat the engine while trying to protect the paint!

If you're worried about paint chips, there are a number of temporary clear bras that either spray on or apply like tape available from local auto parts stores and online. For a moderate price, you can do most of the car well enough to get home and get Xpel installed. Or just drive it - I have 4100 miles of daily driving, including in the snow, and no paint nicks yet!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote