View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Bash them if you want, but once Tesla's ball gets rolling, things will never be the same again. Musk will deliver.
But people have been saying that since the original roadster. Nothing has changed since then, except now they have other high-priced models, one affordable one that they can't build, and they're a little more familiar to the market.

The longer they take to bring those affordable cars to market...the more EVs other manufacturers will produce to compete. Bolt won the North American car of the year award this year, after all...not the model III.

Really hardcore Tesla fans remind me of early Apple fans...they're in love it so long as it's niche and "alternative". They idolize Musk like Apple fans idolized Steve Jobs. But once (if) it becomes mainstream, or once the idol steps down or is otherwise out of the picture, they won't be so gung-ho anymore.

As I said earlier - I like what Tesla's doing. I really do, without them, Volt would have never happened, and every EV GM makes is delineated from that architecture. I like even more than Tesla is an American company. But I think they're living proof that the industry is so big it's very difficult to just "start" a car company, anymore.