Thread: More Horses
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #109
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
If anyone thinks you can actually use 400hp on the street, the don't live in the USA! There is NOWHERE on a street that you could realistically use 400hp.

It only takes ~ 80hp to go 80mph.

From a standing start I doubt you could hook more than 200-300hp on your average street asphalt (less if you live in the N. East).

Hell, even if your running to the grocery store on drag radials you probably couldn't use that much hp...

But we all want more don't we? For my part, I plan on taking more visits to race tracks, SCCA events, and closed course driving training events to make use of all this newfound hp, as thats the only real place to actually use it!

550hp LS9? Yes please!

~LSx

It is sort of strange how your perception can change. I remember in the early 90's thinking that 300hp was a serious amount of hp and then when the late 4th gens hit with the LS1 and were laying down 350hp by numerous reports, I thought initially, what in the world would you do with all of that power!

Then the LS2 came along and I test drove the GTO. After awhile I thought 400hp was a good amount of hp and was no longer in awe of the 350 hp mark. Now I am trying to wrap my head around 430hp with the good possibility of 450hp with some very simple modifications... Holy crap! I can honestly say that I would have never thought 10-15 years ago that 400+ hp would be the norm in muscle cars, let alone 550! Are we at that point when we look at a 500hp car and scuff thinking it is just a run-of-the-mill muscle car? That is A LOT of power!

Something else I was thinking of was, although they are substantially increasing the power on these motors, are we actually getting what we are paying for or will GM and other manufacturers severely cripple the car through torque management instead of beefing up the drivetrain to handle the added power. I mean 425HP is a lot of power, but only if we are actually able to use all of that power.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote