Thread: More Horses
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #104
MintStick
Camaro 2timer

Drives: 02 SS Coupe
Guys over 50 may remember. Camaro never had "SS" and "Z28" on same car. GM tried to introduce this on 4th gen and purist shot it down before production. Back in 60's/70's you could order a car special by adding order number designations (1LE and COPO are the ones everyone knows). Those days are gone. The "SS" was always given to the "sporty" model, but even that one could be ordered with delete options. I agree with 'stevenm357'; GM lowered standards with Cobalt "SS". The 4th gen didn't have apparent difference between "SS" and "Z28"; the "SS" and "Z28" packages gave you what you got - not many changes you could make. In '68 you could get an "SS" with BB or SB, but "Z28" came with 302 SB. Back then the "SS" was KING in hp, but both were hot cars to have.

I think GM will come out with both SS and Z28, but I'd like the SS badge dropped because the perception of power has been diluted through the years with GM marketing trying to gain buyers with that designation. The "Z28" holds value cause it belongs to Camaros. Since the LS motors are small blocks, even the purists can be happy. For a production car to fit the market, it will need more than hp. I can't wait to hear more about engines and ratings for new Camaro, but there is so much more. I heard that IRS was likely.

My 4th gen is a thrill to drive - especially diggin hard in the corners and it rides nice for long trips. It has adequate HP but it needs more for seat-of-the-pants go. My first gen has better go with 450hp rating, but it too needs more. You'll never be satisfied with hp - more is always better. One thing to remember is that to use the hp on street, you need insurance. Has anyone priced coverage for 500hp? I'm guessing it'll be 1200/yr + for good driving records for guys (and gals) over 30. Heard that when the Viper came out, half of the cars were in accidents within first year. Too much hp for street. I know Camaro drivers are much better qualified, but things happen fast in traffic.

Just some thoughts - sorry for running on with the mouth.
MintStick is offline   Reply With Quote