View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Drivers Can't Rely on Summer and All-Season Tires, or Electronics for Control on Snow and Ice

The Daily Auto Insider
Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Even with antilock brakes, traction control and vehicle stability systems, many vehicles are not fully prepared to handle winter driving conditions, according to a news release by The Tire Rack, a tire retailer and a source of tire and wheel information.

A demonstration at The Tire Rack's winter tire testing facility in South Bend, Indiana, showed that anti-lock brake (ABS), traction control (TCS), and vehicle stability systems do not actually increase traction, and that all-season and summer-only tires are ineffective on packed snow and ice.
Well DUUUUUUUHHHHH!!!!

Nobody in their right mind ever said that ABS or TCS or VSS "increased traction"

It allows you to better maintain control of your vehicle.

Now comes the idiotic, "I can threshhold brake better than ABS..." rant. Well, I'm glad you live in a world with perfectly smooth, clean, and straight streets that allow threshhold braking. I live in a world of corners, dirt, gravel, rain, snow and ice. I know I can stab into my brake pedal hard and late into a corner and still steer if I have to. And in a panic situation it is unlikely that you would be able to do anything but squash the pedal and pee your pants anyway. So much for threshhold braking.

Now, I'm like the rest of you. I like to turn off the electronic nannies and have fun with the car once in awhile but the other 99.99% of the time let's leave them on.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote