View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 04:08 AM   #15
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
No worries TAG, no one is immune to the ongoing BS the internet is overflowing with.

Seeing how I have been in the Automotive Industry for more than half of my life and a majority of that dealing with auto body, I’ll give you my 2 cents of BS.

First, I would wash the car with dish soap (Dawn). Dish soap removes what is left of the last wax job and any other road grime/grease but you already new that. If you live in the country where bugs are plentiful and splattered all over the front of your vehicle I would invest in some bug remover spray. This stuff is the shit when it comes to taking off caked on bug guts from high speed impacts.

Second, I would use a clay bar for taking any other imperfections off. Use as needed. Not need every time. I mainly use the clay bar for rail dust and industrial fall out. The clay bar may work on small splotches of tar but for major tar spots I would invest in automotive tar remover.

Third, I use the Meguiars 3 Step “DEEP CRYSTAL SYSTEM”. The DEEP CRYSTAL SYSTEM is the best inexpensive product I have found that can even come close to competing with 3M Auto Body products. Hell it might even be better.

Step 1. Paint Cleaner

Step 2. Polish

Step 3. Carnauba Wax.

This method does take up the better part of a day. Follow the directions on the bottles. I apply each step with a small 100% cotton applicator pad. Use small circular motions when applying (Wax on Wax off Grasshopper). After allowing the product to dry I remove it with 100% cotton hand towels in the same manner. Remember to wash the vehicle with Dawn between each step. Also, start each steep with a new clean applicator pad and hand towel. Washing and changing the pad/towel is a must. It’s called the 3 step system for a reason.

SAFETY NOTE! I always wear “Thicksters” (Blue rubber automotive gloves similar to surgical gloves only thicker) when applying any product other than the dish soap. There are lots of unfriendly chemicals in all this shit.

For regular cleaning I use the MR. Clean car wash system.

All of these products I have mentioned can be obtained at any local automotive store.

When you are done you are going to look like this, when you eye your black beauty.

The first time I used this system on my truck everyone thought I had repainted it...
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote