View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #50
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Damn straight it's an American icon and absolutely represents driving in the US at its finest. Thank God I live here rather than the UK - gas is about $8.84/gal currently, you're taxed on CO2 emissions then drilled with exorbitant insurance rates on top of that. Parking is a bitch - sorry, an EXPENSIVE bitch and if you're stupid enough to drive into London, well -there's a fine for doing that as well.

Meanwhile, on our side of the pond, we can guzzle all the 93 octane we want for a relatively cheap $4.17 here in Maryland, park for damn near nothing, insurance is reasonable, Montana and other states offer plenty of opportunity to drive at insane speeds and the biggest cost that most 'Vette owners face would be $2,100 for a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

So yes, "our" sports car represents where it was imagined, designed, developed and built. Give us a big ass V-8, plenty of power, to hell with the gas mileage and if it's slightly difficult to parallel park? Ahhh - outside of NYC and DC, who has to parallel park? Just go find an end spot.

Besides, having driven in the UK there are two HUGE factors that mess up Americans. Driving on the wrong side of the road is obvious but I found being on the wrong side of the car almost as bad with a manual. You grow up shifting with your right hand and left foot on the clutch. Then have to learn it all over again with your left hand from the wrong side of the car.

And no, I'd never pay that much for a RS5. Give me a C7 to go really fast ($70K). And an A4 for lousy weather along with a great interior ($40K). Then I'd still have an extra $10,000 or so to buy a new set of clubs and take a nice week long golf outing someplace warm right now
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote