View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #11
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Hadn't seen that article, but I'm a little sceptical of its veracity, especially since it was posted prior to the official unveiling. The Z06 is generally marketed as a weekend track car, and a convertible would require a 4-point or more roll bar in order to be allowed on track, for safety. While it certainly could be built with the current architecture, I suspect it wouldn't sell well. Only time will tell. Perhaps a convertible would be the next Grand Sport?
Chevy has the C7 as a Coupe and Vert with the Z51 option. In 2015 there shall be the ZO6 at least in a Coupe. There is nothing in between these two option in a Vert and I can't see how there could be one. I can't see a Grand Sport. What would a Grand Sport or 427 type have that surpasses a C7 Z51 except on a ZO6 scale? I read that a ZR1 is probably out of the question as the C7 ZO6 surpasses past ZR1 performance. Where does Chevy go on a ZR1 except perhaps to an insane 1,000 HP.

If the ZO6 also comes as a Vert, that would fill in the void of a super high performance Vert that other car manufacturers have or are introducing. Even the Camaro and the new Mustang shall have super high performance Verts. I can't see anyone buying a ZO6 Vert for the track but I do see folks wanting a super high performance Vert that is street friendly. What Vette Vert person would not want a ZO6 Vert? Well, gas mileage may be one factor. I probably would not contemplate a ZO6 Vert if it did not have cylinder deactivation and the other engine enhancements of the C7 to justify more than occasional usage. I expect gas mileage still in the 20s - not 29 MPH but more than 20 MPH - and probably somewhere in between. Expect the first 600 HP super car with astonishing gas mileage. Price may be another factor, but only to the Porsche or Viper range and likely below.

The bottom line is that I think Chevy shall come up with a super high performance Vert to compete with future SRT Vert products as well as foreign super Verts. A ZO6 Vert would well fit the bill and be very possible. Maybe Chevy comes up with a lesser Grand Sport or 427 type Vert between 460 HP and that of the ZO6, but unless on a ZO6 level, I think most as I would be satisfied with a C7 Z51 Vert. A non ZO6 Vert above that of a C7 Z51 that would have to have more going for it than HP to get me to buy it over a C7 Z51 Vert.

With the C7 technology, a ZO6 Vert is within the realm of possibility. I am an optimist for a CO6 Vert. If not, the 2015 at least have the Performance Data Recorder. So, not a bad wait even if a ZO6 Vert does not materialize.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote