Thread: Z51 Constraint
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #30
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
PurpleRac3R.... I have no problem waiting. Patience is not my issue at all. My concern is GM is taking allocations from people if they don't remove the Z51. So, I have my order placed (since July) and when the dealer (small one) actually gets its allocation next month for my car, if the constraint is still there the choice is remove Z51 or the allocation goes to another dealer. If it was just a matter of waiting, I would have no problem at all.

Pulling allocations because people don't want to change the order is what is frustrating many people. If you are with a small dealer (like me), you may not be able to get another allocation for the foreseeable future... THAT is the sucky part.

P.S. This has happened to GM many times in the past. Although we can argue not to "blame" them given the complexity of the process, why haven't we seen similar issues from other manufacturers? When BMW launches the new M3/M4, I can pretty much guarantee they won't have supply issues. Don't get me wrong, LOVE this car and LOVE what GM has built... I just hope the constraint issues don't get in the way of people actually owning one. I will wait until May... if I can't get it by then I will buy something else because I don't want to miss the summer track season. I don't want to do that but GM may not make it possible not to... that's the sad part.
The allocations are not option related. The dealer gets an allocation and if it can not be used, either another dealer uses it or the number built is one less that week. After a while, one less here and one less there and we're talking about , , , well, you know what.

One could say let the dealer defer using the allocation but if too many are deferred then the plant has to cut back on numbers produced per hour and.or number of days scheduled for production or maybe go to production every other week. If that scenario is unfamiliar, you have not been following Corvette production over the last few years.

Chevy has already accepted enough Z51 optioned orders to last until December and is currently not accepting order with that option. In time that option will be available but likely will be on a limited constraint throughout the model year. I am saying this so readers have a chance to evaluate their priorities. I have been caught in the constraint limbo several times, it is frustrating and disenchanting. So far, I have been happy that I waited but I know some people can not wait.

This situation is particularly aggravating for many dealers and about one third of Chevy dealers will not put themselves through the wringer. If you want to blame somebody, blame the six or eight largest Corvette dealers who will swoop in and scoop up as many untaken allocations as they can.

But if you can not go to one of those dealers and can not wait on the chance your small dealer will not be able to order a Z51 optioned StingRay, there is your local Ferrari dealer whose waiting list for the high performance versions of a Ferrari rarely goes over two years and you can get your name on that list for a measly $50,000 deposit.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote