View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Z288racer

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28
Camaro Z28 Rear seat Question

I removed the rear seat and the back cushion, which turned to be fairly easy task. The primary purpose it to be able to carry another set of wheels to the track so I can really use these tires to their full useful life.

The back cushion swivels over a structural part that is attached on either side and in the center and provides support for the seat belt center attachment points and optional child seat.

I ran across the following in Automobile Magazine: "Interestingly, the Z/28 retains a rear seat because the car is lighter with one than without. “The rear seat is part of the structure, so when you remove it you have to compensate with bracing,” says Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “You can easily end up with a car that’s heavier than it was when you started.”

Looking at the area where the seat was, I see no reason to add additional bracing but than I am no expert in this area.

Anyone knows more on this topic?

I am attaching 2 pictures showing how clean the are is after the seat removal, and the back cushion with the structural bracket

PS: The rear seat weight (bottom and back cushion including the seat bracket weighs 27 lbs.

Attached Images

Z288racer is offline   Reply With Quote