Thread: Updating a car
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #22
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No evidence!?!?
Have you been paying attention to the weather over the globe the past few years?
More Huricanes and more violent than ever before in Southern US
I can tell you from experience that the Snow up here in NY is some of the worst I've ever seen!
Trust me there is evidence, maybe not significant evidence, but it's only a matter of time...
Yes, I said evidence. What you just listed was your own observations. You can hardly call your own observations in global climate over the last few years a trend or evidence.

As for your argument regarding an increase in tropical cyclones (Huricanes), the National Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory has actually documented a decreased number of tropical cyclones over the last 40 years worldwide. Again, you can not make a claim about a global trend based on local data, especially when that data is based on one's own personal observations.

Moreover, the instrumentation used to identify and quantify tropical storms has greatly improved over the last 15-20 years which makes it even more difficult to make any substantitive claims regarding huricanes because the equipment used prior to this was not very accurate leading to simplistic and inaccurate models.

Even if you completely disregard the evidence i just presented, there would have to be some theory to support such a claim. The general theory used by the supporters of global warming usually follows this logic: global warming leads to increased ocean surface temperatures, which leads to a greater uptake of moisture and destructive hurricanes.

However, if you look at the temperature data since 1890 you will see only a rise in temperature of about .8 degrees celcius over that period. this is hardly enough to significantly affect the moisture levels int he tropics.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote