View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Here are things I look for when thinking about a line as a whole:

1. Does everything have a clear purpose? Some lines (CG) sell so many things that all do the same/similar thing that nobody knows what to buy. I want all the bases to be covered without a ton of overlap. Pick your focus and go with it. Some people will be pissed you don't offer 8 waxes and a dedicated headlight polish. Too bad. Be lean and good at what you do.

2. Is it cost effective? Am I getting value? Expensive is fine. But there better be a reason why product X costs twice as much as product Y from the guy down the street. Adam's does not understand that. And no, misplaced xenophobia is not a compelling reason to me.

3. Is it efficient? Doesn't have to be the easiest thing in the world to use, but am I making the most of my time? Not everyone likes to waste their time on products like Zaino. I'd rather spend my time wisely and get the most return on investment.

4. Are there any lame ducks? Don't put your name on it if it's not the best you can do. That just brings down the credibility of the rest of your line. You're not going to be the best at everything, but you don't need to put out Buttery Wax just to make Buttery Wax.

To be more specific, I'll respond to your questions:

1. I want to see a serious hobbyist level detailing line. To me this means high quality, high price. I want to see concentrates being sold to keep costs down. When I think "pro line" I think of the Meg's Detailer line. Good products, but geared towards volume. Personally I'd rather see more of a balance struck between the niche product that's still scalable for your mid-volume detailers.

2. What I love most about my products now
-Effectiveness above all
-value for money (I'll spend the money on Americana because I know it's worth it. I won't buy Adam's APC for the same reason).
-Minimized effort. I don't need to do 5 coats of product or repeat a bunch of steps for great results. It works and it lasts.
-Flexibility. I have control over certain products in my lineup. I can mix at dilutions to turn one product into four. I can make different strengths depending on what I need. Versatility is key to me.

3. What don't I like? Size. How often does a hobbyist or even small-time detailer finish a bottle of polish? Or a bottle of sealant? When is the last time any of us saw the bottom of a tub of wax? Keep costs down to the consumer, sell smaller amounts. Consumer is then able to more easily keep up and purchase new products. Risk of disappointment is also lower when buying a 3oz tub for $30 than a 7oz for $70.

4. Something I wish was available that isnt... That's tough. Honestly here I'd have to say the focus would be on accessories/equipment for me. Design a signature line of badass, affordable brushes/applicators/spray bottles/nozzles, etc. Since you're not limited by Adam's anymore, you can keep costs down by sourcing cheaper, but equally good, materials. Currently I have to piece everyting together. Brushes from here, bottles from there, applicators from there. Shipping x 3 and nothing really strikes a balance between impressive and affordable to me. I know you were probably thinking more chemical-based for this question but the market is saturated with great chemicals.
This is a well thought out post. Dylan, I am a DIYer. I detail my cars as therapy. I like the Adam's product because they are simple to use. It is a great system. Color coded for dummies like me. I have no clue who has the better chemicals and what makes a better shine. I really don't. But I know when I break out the Porter Cable, I know what color bottle and pad to pull out with it. And I know what to do next, etc. And in the end, I am satisfied with the results. Please keep us DIYers in mind--like I know you will.

I am a newbie to all this, and am watching for some cool stuff from Surf City!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote