View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
rayw1128

Drives: none
I'm in CA and bought my C7 from dealer in Ohio. My car came with temporary tags/plates for approximately 30 days. So the process I faced were:

1, Dealer in Ohio requested address information on my local DMV (so they can send the out of state title to the DMV). Dealer in Ohio also collected their % of sales tax (which you will need to pay the difference when you go to your local DMV).

2, Dealer will mail/fedex the title to your local DMV. Dealer should notify you (or you can follow up with the dealer) when that is done so you can go to the DMV and get the process started.

3, When your local DMV has the title, you can go to your local DMV and pay for the fees and the difference in sales tax. DMV will also inspect your vehicle. If the inspector cannot find the sticker in your engine bay, the sticker is located on the passenger side of your hood.

4, DMV will then provide you with paperwork to do your SMOG check. SO YES, YOU WILL NEED TO GET A SMOG CHECK.

5, Get a smog check, then go back to DMV and finish the registration process.

I am unsure if AAA will help register a new vehicle purchased out of the state. I thought they did not.

Also, I have been driving on my temporary out of state tags since I got the car in November, as I am waiting to go back to the DMV after my smog test.

Hope that answers your questions.
rayw1128 is offline   Reply With Quote