View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
In other than ECO mode, the engine will use all eight cylinders, while in ECO mode it will use all eight except in certain situations related to highway driving. That would make using engine management a choice. I understand your idea but I do not see it viable in a reasonable way but given the steady advance of technology I can easily see it in the next generation Corvette engine.

One reason I see it coming is the incredible need to accommodate mandated emission and mileage requirements. In fact, those requirements would be the only reason AND such technology would keep V8 engines available for Corvette and other premium sport cars.

Laborsmith
Thanks for that dose of reality, I didn't think about how its actually more efficient to barely use the power of all 8 than stress 4. Just good for steady cruising. Also a very interesting, and also very true statement about AFM technology saving V8's. That's encouraging, I think everyone was worried about the market disappearing due to these regulations. I'm not thoroughly versed on it, do the regulations just say "MPG needs to be X and if its not, you have to pay Y tax on the car"? Just extending the gas guzzler tax?