View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionRain View Post
My C6 Corvette Convertible shifts so much faster with the paddle shifters than I ever could with the six and four-speed manuals I've owned. And I never drop revs. Owned a couple C4s back in the day, as well as a 1970 and a half Z28, that was blazing fast back in '71 (not to mention turbo Supra and 300ZX turbo Nissan).

I'm hoping to see an all-wheel drive, seven-speed or more automatic for future Corvettes. Tired of watching videos where lower horsepower Porsches and GTRs leave Vettes at the starting line. What the hell is launch control when it don't launch???

Jus' sayin'...
If you're worried about winning races, then I'd suggest a hp bump. For me though, I simply wouldn't buy a vette with an auto, regardless of how much faster it is than the manual. I have no problem racing another stock vette and losing because the other guy had an auto. The other guy might of won, but I know I had more fun racing, and that's all I care about. And on a side note: for those of you planning on running your vettes on a road course, stay away from the auto. The 6L80, in stock form at least, overheats in these situations. Manual is definitely the way to go there. (Unless of course GM comes out with a dual-clutch auto). Maybe if you intend on using it as a dedicated drag car, ok. Otherwise I'll pass.

Everything today seems to be about speed, and rightfully so. From a technology perspective, faster speeds, in a computer for example, is all that matters. In a car however, especially a sports car, I NEED a manual. I made the mistake of getting an auto (partly because it was my DD then) in my camaro, and traded it a year later because it just got too damn boring. In an auto sports car you're just along for the ride. You might as well be a passenger.

Now, if you have a medical condition that prevents you from driving a manual or you plan on sharing the car with your wife that might not know how to drive stick, that's another story.

Sorry to go off topic, OP, but I feel that's part of the reason the majority of car reviews don't include the automatic version. They probably believe that the majority of their viewers/readers are hardcore enthusiasts, in which case they really don't care about the auto. If Gm comes out with a dual clutch auto, that's different. I'm sure the reviewers will be all over that. But a plain jane 6L80? Not really.

*But, it's YOUR car and YOUR money. Do what YOU want. I'm just voicing my opinion*

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)

Last edited by S3XPanther; 11-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote