View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #123
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Nice lap time at ACS Roval!

This is my first post in this forum. I've currently got a 2011 M3 and am looking for something to get into once my lease is up in a few months.

I've been curious about the 1LE for quite some time... then I saw one at a BMW club event at Chuckwalla. I think it may belong to KRich actually. Not sure though. Anyway, that thing looked and sounded great. I didn't get to experience it in action on track because I was in a different run group.

Because Autoclub Speedway is kind of my home track I have some questions about your car, it's set up, and about your driving. I guess I'm trying to compare to see where the car fits relative to my current car. It's easy to do some comparisons when you know the details of your own laps.

First, what experience do you have in HPDE? I see you have a harness bar and it looked like open passing. I assume it was a Speed Ventures event. Was it a Red/Green group?

I can't tell from the video, but it seemed like you aren't heel/toe down-shifting. Am I right about that? Any reason why? Or am I just hearing it wrong in the video.

Speaking of brakes, are your pads stock? If so, what kind of life are you getting out of them? Any aftermarket pads out there better suited for track days?

As far as your laps at ACS, what top speed are you hitting at the end of the front straight?

Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone take such an inside line on the hairpin before. Seems like with such a heavy car it would be the slowest way as far as carrying speed onto the straight, but I'm not positive. Generally a late apex is taught there.

I saw your pic of your tires a few posts back. ACS is horrible on passenger side tires because of the banking on turn 2. When you really start to push it through there it will eat up your passenger side tires quickly as you lightly slide toward the wall while at such a high speed. I'm assuming you're probably close to or at 130MPH+ in turn 2. I actually flip my tires side to side half way through the day just to even this out. Even though they are directional, I find that it doesn't matter unless there is moisture. It may save you from cording one side and having them be just fine on the driver side.

Anyway, I know this is a lot of questions and comments, but I have been really interested in a 1LE and it looks like I finally have some info about it on the track I know best.

Just for reference, I have a comp pack 2011 BMW M3 that I run track pads, Yokohama AD08s on. The best I can manage at ACS is about a 1:57. That being said there are guys with the same car but with full suspension, BBK, and RComps that are running 1:53s and even lower with Aero out there, but that is also $20K in mods on top of a what is already a very pricey car.

I'm looking to get into something a little more reasonable to modify and track and the 1LE is fitting the mold right now.
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote