View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
I admit I do not fully understand the coming carbon foot print standards, which go into effect around 2016, but based on what I understand, the standard will be vehicle specific, so an interesting choice for GM is up ahead: do what is needed to make a vehicle line meet the standard or drop that line.

I believe the Stingray as we now know it comes close if not meeting the standard (we will not know until we get the official government report) but if does not meet the future standard, going to a smaller displacement engine could be what is needed to keep the Corvette in production. This could be why the Stingray is a wide body therefore heavier version of the Corvette.

I personally have no doubt the 5.3L will be an engine choice for the Corvette vehicle line. I do not believe it will be a budget offering, but will be in a regular width body with front and rear differences to make sure it is not confused with the Stingray.

I do not see GM dropping the Corvette vehicle line since they were willing to keep it going even in 2010 and 2011 when they had trouble selling 12,000 units. I am pretty sure the gas guzzler tax will not be enough, but come 2016 we will know if my guess is on target.

Laborsmith
This will help you understand the EPA guidelines.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...cafe-standards

Being wider does help them by needing to meet a lower number. But, they can also average out vehicles like the Corvette with their economy vehicles, or even buy the MPG surplus of say Hyundai. Not sure what that would mean for the bottom line, but my take away from that article is that 2016 is not the doomsday that some make it out to be, and we will in fact continue to see automakers be able to use high output V8's in their vehicles.