View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Alright this will come straight from the horse's mouth who has objective and subjective ownership experience with these powerplants. To start, I am VERY familiar with the LT1 as I owned two C7 Z51 Stingrays for over a year and currently have a Z06 with the LT4... I also now have a '15 GT350 Track pak. I track my Vettes extensively... very fast laps too if I may say. I have also experienced the GT350 on 9 laps at Sebring back in Oct. courtesy of a Ford Performance invite. No fanboy'ism here. I like what both manufacturers offer and they outdo each other at every iteration. Nothing new there.

On that note, I will take a GT350 anytime anyday even over a Z51 Stingray let alone a 6th gen SS (obviously both have LT1's). Why? Besides the FPC power & sound, this car is so balanced and can handle so well it's deceiving. It really shouldn't for its weight... but it feels like 500 lbs lighter than it actually is. It's just dialed in just right, spot on every apex. The steering turn in and the manner it can lay down the power is amazing. Don't get me started on the brakes... the brakes are so good it can compete with CCB's. These massive rotors and calipers are just as good or arguably better than my Z06's. That alone speaks volumes and is a key component for a total recipe to produce smooth-in and fast-out of turns, lap after lap.

All this sums up to a great performance track-bred car... it actually feels like a sports car when you drive it... pony car analogies are bygones now with this all new Shelby. Some can disagree or be in denial forever but until you actually own one and drive one on & off the track, then I'd say some of these posts are really no more than conjecture and should be taken with a grain of salt. The GT350's forte isn't meant to be interpreted as a simple ruler, never was from the getgo... it's not meant to be a 1/4 mile slingshot from point a to point b. It's for the twisties.. it's for the high speed track.. it's for spirited driving, not stoplight hopping.

This is not a bash against the 6th gen SS as we can also now see that with GM's all-star parts & components ingredients, they were able to produce a well-performing and highly acclaimed car. Car of the year per M/T's pedigree (although unfortunately that testing was done before the GT350 was released for the media) just like Motor Authority was only able to match up SS vs. GT350 because a special edition 6th gen isn't out yet... if it was then the media & auto magrags will match it vis-a-vis. Duh. But for Yahoo's "Epic" car of the year and R&T's "Performance" car of the year, I'll surely concur with that accolade over & over. No Voodoo novelty here neither... this car can perform at a very high level at the track and can challenge many cars twice its price.

Top 4 finalists: 6th gen SS, RC-F, CTS-V, GT350
Question...are you talking about the R, or the regular GT350? Big difference. If you are talking R...then while I very much respect your response, but its not a valid response. Even talking the 350TP may not be valid. Sure, straight line might be ok, but clearly this topic is on track performance, and I don't think anyone should be comparing an SS, to a 350TP, and especially an R. (now a possible 6th gen 1LE on the other hand...I feel will put up a good fight with a 350TP)

The comparison should be between a base 350 and an SS. I this case, I think the SS is likely closer to the performance level (track, as straight line the SS is pretty much its equal until perhaps well over 100mph) of a base 350 than a Mustang GTPP. 50K for a base 350. An SS, with all the performance options added, but not a 2SS, will come under that easily, and likely perform very closely. What is your take on this?

ANYWAYS..

As for the so called "comparison" the OP is talking about....it was a NOTHING comparison. All they did was brag up both cars, and nothing else. No stats, no real opinions, and no winner chosen.

I want to see an SS go up against a base 350...lets do it!