Thread: Museum Delivery
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Normally, I'd puh puh the "don't put anything on new paint" folks but the rule of thumb used to be let paint cure for 30 days prior to waxing, polishing, etc. If this were a BMW that was sitting in a boat for 2 weeks coming over and then at the VPC for another week prior to delivery, I wouldn't sweat anything - tape away. However, since you're picking up at the factory, it might be only a few days old on the paint job.

My personal experience? Last new car I picked up at the dealer in Sommerville, NJ. 2010 GTI. Jumped in, drove it 300 miles home the first day. Down the Garden State Parkinglot, over to Atlantic City for sh!ts & giggles then back down 95. No appreciable damage that I saw the first day. Yes, I've got a couple of minor chips in the hood and front bumper after almost 4 years but I consider that to be normal road car wear & tear. C7 will probably be the same scenario (in fact, if I get it at Kerbeck, it will be the same trip back from AC). I've seen some clear bra installs that look really good (which means you can't really see them) and might consider one if I can find a great installer right off the bat.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote