View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #68
tdp1

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C7Z51 View Post
YA right – Ever drive a Countach? POS even back then. It was primitive at best.
The 911 turbo seems cool but it handled like pooh and had turbo log galore,
308 - fancy body and classic what can I say. Oh ya they were just as slow as the Vette at the time….and you could speed shift them

Makes sense but above he spoke about Countach, TT Porsche 911 and 308 Magnum PI mobile – all 2 seaters. If I wanted a slow S4 I would not be looking at the Vette in the first place. CTS-V!! OK I can deal with a family of four driving a CTS-V instead of the Vette – what’s his point – he lost me.

IMO he is all over the board. If you can’t afford a 60k Vette you can’t afford anything fun in the same 60k range. That includes the ZL1 Camaro or the 100k Audi in the other thread. If his point is GM wants to get the guys under 60 to purchase, GM never said they wanted people under 60 that don’t have 60k to finance. Again he lost me. GM had the Fiero which was the poor mans vette at the time. Those days are over. Show me a car in the same range or less that gives you the same bang for the buck all around.

WTF – Unless you are a celebrity that owns 3 or 4 or 20 gas guzzlers but drive a Prius once in a while to impress your fans (as if you really cared about a few tree hugging liberals) then no one drives a Prius to show they are successful. The same can be said for the Passat. It's a great car as is the Hyundai Genesis but the guys that buy those cars are not trying to or able to impress many folks with those vehicles. SORRY CHARLIE. To be honest, it all depends on which circles you travel in. As an example. Many people were never impressed with my GTR even when I was the first around to have it. BUT the ones that knew what it was would follow me like little kids and take snap shots. When I valet parked it at even the most fancy restaurants all the kids (and by kids I mean 18 to 25 year old car parkers) would move Ferraris and Mercedes out of the way to position the GTR directly in the front and then call their friends to come see it – it was crazy the respect that car got from the people that knew what it was. So in short the vette IMO is not intended to impress people that "I spent 60k on it" but to the right guy - they think this guy knows a great car when he sees it. Look at it like this everyone wants to race a Vette because it is a standard to which many want to be compared to. – That impresses me. The only thing I HATE about the Vette….everyone can have one. But that is also the reason why we all love it – it is in fact defacto the working mans exotic and every time GM brings out the latest version it’s that much better – count me in.

– I disagree. BTW I am now 45. I got my first Vette at 20 and never looked back. I would say of the vette owners I also hang out with, 95% of them are also in my age bracket not 60-somethings

Ok I would agree that many of the “kids” (under 50-something) probably are not sentimental about the Stingray history but they will dig the new modern logo. When I first read about the 2014 Vette I thought the paper indicated you could have a Stingray or a Z51. I wanted the Z51 package but also wanted the Sting Rays on the side of the car because I liked the look of them. I was pleasantly happy to find out I read it wrong and all the Vettes had the sting ray on them. They could call the new Vette a Fuego edition and I would buy still buy it if it represented the best Vette GM has to offer.

Setting aside this last paragraph, I can’t help but feel this guy drives a mid 70’s Porsche.
Someone has way too much time on their hands.
tdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote