View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #49
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
That was a great post by Scott. Getting away from the previous argument, I think there is a lot that goes into the general public's perception of American Autos. Unfortunately, the American auto makers are having to overcome this 'low quality' stigma that they developed through the early and mid 80's becasue of their low quality autos compared to what was then the new Asian market.

Unfortunately, actually increasing the quality of vehicles has not been enough to alter people's perceived quality. I think one of the biggest problems was American auto manufacturer's reluctance to back their products with a substantial warranty for such a long time. However, with Diamler-Chrystler and now GM stepping out on a limb and offering elongated warranties, I think a lot will be done to change the misperception, but as the saying goes... American Autos made their bed, and now they have to sleep in it.

This is also why I think the Camaro is going to be so iconic for GM. I think it is going to really represent a new era in America automobiles and show consumers GMs renewed interest in developing stylish, attractive and quality automobiles.

I think people confuse simple and plain with high quality these days. When you look inside the majority of foreign automobiles they all have very simple and plain features. I really believe that people began associating the Asian quality improvement movement of the 80's with these qualities in their autos, and now today people still associate it that way. Someone said it earlier that you can get much more car for your buck with a GM economy vehicle than you can with most imports. The next few years will certainly be interesting ones.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote