View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
G6Flyer

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
I'm all for compensation but even if the family got $150 million from Chrysler does that really help them get over the loss of their son? Kind of ridiculous, they can give them 1 million or 1 billion they still lost a son, I don't see the point in trying to get more and more money.

Unfortunately, auto manufacturers sometimes don't have their customers' best interests in mind when making decisions.

The Ivey Memo (http://jalopnik.com/the-ivey-memo-th...-gm-1559089963) is a 1973 internal study at Oldsmobile that said it would cost ~$2.40/vehicle to settle wrongful death suits, so they should spend a maximum of $2.20/vehicle to prevent said deaths. These analyses are still done to determine how much to spend on safety devices.

Since car companies sometimes don't make good decisions, massive jury verdicts is some of the only leverage available to make manufacturers build safer vehicles.

Also, before you vilify the plaintiffs and/or attorneys in the case, remember it was the jury that came up with the $150 million award... They must have thought Chrysler's conduct was pretty egregious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G6Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote