View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
A contrarian's criticism of the Corvette Stingray (by the AUTOENTHUSIAST)

The outpouring of positive reactions on the internet to the 2014 Corvette has been overwhelming so far, so I thought it'd be fun to see what a contrarian has to say about it. Here's one:

Via: http://www.autoextremist.com/
Quote:
But let’s face it - there was only one debut that really mattered at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show. The introduction of the seventh-generation Corvette, or should I say, the new Corvette Stingray is a very big deal. A Joe Biden kind of big frickin’ deal, if you know what I mean. And for the most part GM Design and the True Believers in the Corvette Program delivered.

That the new Corvette will be the best driving Corvette in history is indisputable. The advancement of technology alone in the ensuing years since the development of the sixth-generation Corvette ensures that. The new Corvette utilizes the latest in advanced materials and it also uses a stack of technical knowledge gleaned from the world-class – and wildly successful – Corvette Racing program. The lessons learned on the racetrack through that championship-winning program have contributed immeasurably to the development of the new Corvette, especially in terms of aero performance. (And it will make a sensational-looking GT racer for the 2014 season as well.)

In short the new Corvette is flat-out better in every way. So is it the best production Corvette ever built? Absolutely. Will it be the best driving Corvette ever built? Emphatically so, yes. Does it boast the best interior environment ever put in a Corvette? No question. But is it the best-looking Corvette ever built? No.

Now don’t get me wrong, the overall shape and packaging of the new Corvette is excellent. And there are pieces of the design that I really like. And it pains me to say this because the only person I’ve met with the knowledge, understanding and appreciation for the legacy of Corvette that I have is Ed Welburn, the Chief of GM’s Global Design.

I know Ed’s troops worked overtime on the new Corvette, and make no mistake these are some of GM’s truest True Believers, the people who eat, sleep and breathe Corvette every day. And Ed is the most committed of them all. And overall they did a superb job.

But the new car falls down in two major areas in my estimation. 1. The side detailing and surface development of the car, and 2. The overall look, feel and detailing of the tail.

Now to the first point, that the side vent and surface development of the car clearly borrows from the Nissan GT-R was shocking to me. The GT-R, though an impressive performer, is a mishmash of design elements tossed together and shaken in a bag, resulting in one of the most unimaginative super car designs of all time. And to “borrow” from that car? The explanation given for this was that this new Corvette is supposed to skew younger and that it’s more of an “international” design and not as overtly “American” in its look and feel.

I vehemently disagree. First of all, if there’s any car that should exude its American-ness, it’s the Corvette. If you’ve attended the 24 Hours of Le Mans you’d know what I’m talking about. The international audience there isn’t clamoring for an “internationalized” Corvette. They love the Corvette for what it is: Bold. Loud. Fast. And American. So that “international” rationale shouldn’t have been applied anywhere to this new Corvette. Period. It’s flawed and wildly inappropriate. (Thank goodness the True Believers working on the Viper don’t get caught up in that ********-think.)

And secondly, this car isn’t going to skew younger because young people can’t afford the car. But I’ll have much more to say about that in next week’s column when I discuss the marketing of Corvette.

And finally, there are only two cars in the world that should be allowed to have round taillights: Ferrari. And Corvette. It has been pre-ordained by the automotive gods for more than 60 years now. The explanation as to why the new Corvette doesn’t have round taillights is because this is supposedly a Corvette for a new generation and again, the design is more “with it” in its attempt to appeal to younger buyers.

But throwing that “you’re just not hip enough to understand” rationale – something car designer’s do when they’re out of ideas – is just unmitigated ********. The rear end of the new Corvette is busy and uninspired. And the Camaro-esque taillights are wrong on so many levels I don’t even know where to begin. Really? The True Believer designers entrusted with the legacy of Corvette used a Camaro design cue on the taillights? It doesn’t get any more ridiculous than that.

Here’s the deal. As someone who has been immersed in this business since I was a kid and someone who has been privileged to know some of the true legends of this business firsthand, including the legendary GM designer Bill Mitchell, and someone who has been a student and appreciator of design from way back, I feel more than a little qualified to critique the Corvette. And even though I love the new car, it could have been so much more by being so much less, if you can understand what I’m getting at.

And as I talked to top designers roaming the show, they all said the same exact things: “They needed to dial it back about 25 percent.” Or, “They nailed the overall shape but it’s just too busy.”

Listen, the new Corvette is a great car. The best Corvette ever built by a long shot, with enough advanced technology and cool stuff baked-in to savor for years to come. It will be a sensational performer and it will move the enthusiasts who love them to tears. And the True Believers on the Corvette program who toiled long hours on the C7 should be justifiably proud.

But it’s not a great design because it’s overwrought and overthought and overdone.

Or as Bill Mitchell would say, “You gotta know when to lift the brush.” In other words, there’s a point when you have to stop the tweaking and the fussing and the hand-wringing and just stop. And walk away.

I just wish they had.

We’ll have more Detroit Auto Show coverage and updates throughout the day in this week’s “On The Table.”

And that’s the High-Octane Truth for this week.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote