View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 02:14 PM   #6
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Great setup! Jealous of your trailer especially!

I’ve been following you on YT. Have had some great races! In fact, you’ve got me wondering about spec racing. I currently race Lemons and HPDE. I may start TT but maybe Spec raving is the better move?!

If you don’t mind the question, is spec racing more or less expensive per year than tracking your ZLE? Would love to hear any experience you care to share!
Spec racing is awesome. It's the best way to have a true "driver's race" where you are not pouring all your time and money into developing the car. You just race. There is a big enough community that there are no unknowns with the car. Spec E46 in particular is great in that it makes for great sprint racing and great endurance racing. My car has seen ~40 hours of endurance and ~20 hours of sprint racing and has had zero problems.

From a parts perspective, spec racing is cheaper than tracking a Camaro -- it's just physics. The Spec E46 is 2850 lbs minimum with 225 whp maximum. I have 40+ hours on my front brake pads and they still have probably 10-20 hours of life left in them. The tires are 255/40/17 which are a lot cheaper than 305/30/19.

However, the support cost of racing is much higher. Unless you have your own tow rig, tools, spares, etc., then you likely pay a shop for storage, labor, transport, and support (which I do). In the end, doing it that way comes out to be more expensive than HPDE with the Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post
Absolutely a bargain. Most people do not understand all the effort and money it takes to make these cars a true track car. GLWS.
Thank you for the kind words!

Previous cars:
- 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE (Red Hot)
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote