View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
jsvette

Drives: C7, XTS, Porsche, C70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I think putting a stick together of break-in procedures for the engine, breaks, and more would be beneficial. I can't get one done right now but maybe later unless someone else wants to start.
Here ya go:
After a quick read of the full manual here is the relevant break-in information:
For the first 200 miles (322 km)
-for the tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering
-for the brake linings, avoid hard stops
For the first 500 miles (800 km)
-avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops
-do not exceed 4000 rpm
-avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including use of the cruse control
-avoid downshifting to brake or slow vehicle when it would cause the engine speed to exceed 4000 rpm
-don't lug the engine
For the first 1500 miles (2141 km)
-do not participate in track events, sport driving schools or similar activities
-check engine oil consumption with every refueling and add if necessary

A couple of other interesting bits I found:
-the side mirrors can be set to turn downwards to aid in backing up and seeing the curb (if set, will automatically go into the downward position when you put it in reverse). This is very useful, I have it on my XTS.
-the gas filler door locks when the car is locked. It is a capless fill system. You simply put the gas pump nozzle all the way into the filler tube, the cap slides out of the way. You should locate the small emergency funnel included with your car in the event that you have to add gas from a fill can, because you can not do it without the funnel.
-if you get a flat in the run flats, you can drive up to 50 miles (80 km) at speeds less than 50 mph (80 kph) to the nearest repair center to see if it can be repaired
jsvette is offline   Reply With Quote