View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #7382
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
For literally millions of people, it is much more easily said than done to pack up and move out of state.

Please understand, anyone reading, that I am speaking non-politically. I am talking about the law.

What I know is that Proposition 62 does:

- regulate all ammunition sales like firearms sales
I do not understand this at all. A firearm sale through an FFL01 cannot be the same as ammunition sale through an FFL01. Ammunition does not have serial numbers. Only lot codes. When I buy a firearm the s/n is recorded in the paperwork; I posses a type of FFL myself and this is SOP for me. Be in a lot of trouble is I didn't and the feds checked my books, which they can do when they like. My FFL does not cover ammunition (anymore, it used to), but what escapes me is how a non serialized item will be treated as a serialized item. If they mean the background check has to be made to buy ammo, at face value it's not much besides a hassle and a time toilet...although that's just a beginning I am sure. But how does this prevent violence, exactly? The point of the law is to prevent violence.

Would a waiting period apply to pick up the ammo? Again, how does that prevent violence? It's just not the same as buying a firearm.

- require licensed vendors to report ammunition theft within 48 hours

Sucks for them but why would they not report it ASAP in the first place? I need more info on this one.

- outlaw possession of large-capacity magazines

We all saw this one coming. Logically, all this changes is that people who are afraid to break this law will not have them. It frustrates me that some people back laws that only impact folks that obey existing laws..

- make theft of a firearm a felony

Um. Why wasn't this a felony before? It's a felony if somebody steals my car...this one baffles me. California didn't view theft of a firearm a felony before this? Frankly I am shocked.

create new court processes to ensure that firearms are surrendered by people upon conviction of serious crimes.

What, exactly are these processes and who, exactly, oversees them. A new layer of bureaucracy, or added duties to an existing one? This sounds like all sorts of good intentions but without defined processes and responsibilities...I cringe at the ability to sign something into law when that thing is not defined.