View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
Around $2000 / set is what I consider low for quality wheels, $4000 is the sweet spot that gets you true forged mono blocks from the right vendor. There are a couple manufacturers like TSW and Rohana that make a good flow form wheel in the $1400 / set range, lower from some discounters and are as cheap as I'd ever go.

I don't do full cast unless they are from a major manufacturer like BBS, OZ, Enkie or similar and these will be 30lbs plus for a wheel strong enough to handle a car with the Camaro's HP and Torque and even then you will rarely find a quality cast wheel for less than $1000 / set.

If you can't play in these price ranges look to the used market but that's risky as you don't know their history.

Honestly, OEM GM wheels brand new from Internet parts discounters are a hell of a deal for what is usually a very well made wheel. To beat GM OEM quality you are really in the $500/wheel range and above.

Remember, you have a 3700lb car capable of over 1G cornering force, sub 4 second 0-60 and less than 120' 60-0. The forces exerted on the wheels are an order of magnitude higher than your average grocery getter or econo box. Buy cheap wheels at your own peril.
OP could probably get a set of HRE for less than 2k if he presses a vendor for a discount, and if I'm not mistaken they are about 7lbs lighter per wheel.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote