View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I've got two at home that will both will be 7 years old this summer. They are not related we just happened to get them at the same time. The male is very active and needs a lot of exercise or he gets antsy. The female just wants to lay around and be petted. Neither of them have read the Wikipedia entry about them being good guard dogs... they have no idea they are GSD.

What are you trying to train to or not to do? Mine know the following words/commands:
-sit
-lay down
-in (come in from outside)
-out (go to the door to go out)
-potty (used after going out)
-crate (means: "go to crate" for male {he will chew on things if left alone}; "go to room" with crate for female {she doesn't chew on things}).
-Bed (go to bed, they sleep in a bedroom depending on who goes to bed first boys, wife, or myself)
-Male knows what "kong" means (his toy)

They are also trained to lay down and wait for their food bowls to be sat in front of them and won't eat until you say "take it."

Nothing spectacular but everyone seems impressed with how well the CAN mind if they want to.

Growing up, all we ever had were GSD. My wife got a retired Greyhound racer rescue (my current avatar) and I have fallen in love with them as well. It didn't take her very long at all to catch on to the "lay down and wait to eat."

Last edited by blake-b; 02-23-2016 at 04:59 PM.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote