View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 AM   #6974
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Not sure I agree with this.

The knowledge and muscle memory involved with shooting never fades. Of course one could be rusty and may not have excellent groupings after a long break.

I went 10+ years since shooting an ar-15 (army). I was skipping soda cans across the range at 50 yds with someone else's gun first day back. Not a huge feat but, it felt like being reunited with a long lost friend.
Pistols and rifles are two different stories. I do agree shooting a rifle is far less perishable. As a generality, rifles are less dependent on the influence of trigger pull than a pistol. I believe this is because of the sight radius and how a rifle is supported at three points - shoulder, shooting hand and support hand, and often a sling. For a handgun at close ranges (this is dependent on the level of skill the shooter has) you focus on front sight and target (put the front sight inside the silhouette of the target and fire). At distance (let's call this precision shooting and again dependent on the shooter), sight alignment and trigger pull are what you focus on as a less than smooth trigger pull (or press if you want to envision it that way) can easily affect shot placement.

It does come back quickly if, at some point, you established a good base level of skill.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote