View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #136
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
The failure of Ford was to build an all new GT that is slower than the outgoing GT in the quarter mile which is where the GT has always lived. In their desperation to unseat the SS 1LE with their PP which failed, they ignored what their fans wanted.
I honestly don't think that the GTPP was expected to unseat the 1LE, just crowd it a little with better ride quality for the vast majority of drivers who value that over the last few hundredths of a lateral g or marginally snappier turn-in response. Al O pegged the 1LE as a "a car for the 2 percenter's "; my take on the GTPP using the same scale is that it's more like a 30 percenter's car.

Quote:
Now the news that the new SS is so good it may give their GT350 all it can handle in non R form. Wait though another hammer will fall soon when the next 1LE runs with their GT350 track package.
Maybe the non-R GT350 was targeting the existing 1LE . . . that's kind of what the wheel and tire package is saying to me.

Quote:
In their desperation to unseat the SS 1LE with their PP which failed, they ignored what their fans wanted.
What their traditional fans wanted, anyway. Trouble is, they seem to have managed that without really getting the corner-carving side quite right in readily available trim either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I was a little disapointed when the GT350 1/4 mile times were released @ 12.4. The forum guys were all over me and said go buy something else because the 350 is a track car. There are several track cars out there that are much faster then 12.4 . If you look @ the sales brochures from the 14 C7 they always have the 1/4 mile times. Why Ford would not post any was a question I always had. Now I know why.
Ford has stepped back more than a little from the drag racing scene, so any de-emphasis on ET's and such in their production cars (and in their advertising) probably shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

Best I can come up with is maybe the powers-that-be-at-Ford don't want the Mustang to be viewed as strictly a one-trick pony in the international market that they're now chasing.

Yes, the new SS has raised the bar.

Norm