View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #8808
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
One thing I've refused to do in all my top speed runs...is start taping things up, removing mirrors etc etc.

And it's hilarious when my 35 year brick shaped junker still blows away most of the modern aerodynamic cars with all their bits taped up, wipers, mirrors etc removed LOL

IMO I will always run the car in pretty much exactly the same state as it is driven to the event, with maybe just a tyre change.

Can the tape really make a difference ?

Presumably that front splitter can go much lower ?
The tape does several things. It hds the formed plastic pieces in front of the headlights. The primary purpose is to keep the front fascia top piece from breaking off at speed as has happened even on the drag strip at much lower speeds than I'll be running. It keeps it from "shark jawing".

We have seen seven to ten mph differences by removing the mirrors and taping the front end.

Another major item and probably a bigger concern is keeping air
Out from under the hood and the car. By limiting the air entering the engine bay other than that needed for the intercooler, radiator and oil cooler, we allow for more stability and limit the air that hits the billboard we call a firewall. We could leave the body work stock in its entirety and make a legitimate claim of street car, but in reality while I can drive my car on the street is is way more of a race Car than a street car.

As for the splitter, yes it will be lowered substantially, I drew it up to get the car on and off the trailer. It's will be lowered to level or just below level for the first pass. I built the strut rods and allowed for almost 2.5 to 3 inches of adjustable travel if needed.

We are also taking a big pro-comp style spoiler I built for another car and we will run it in test situations. For now it's seat of the pants testing. In the near future we will be installing a Motec Dash that will allow for the use of ride height sensors we will install for data logging the down force from different settings and adjustments. The spoiler I Built has a fully adjustable blade and a 1/4 inch wicker bill. We will have access to some photos and video that will help us make necessary adjustments .

I do agree that the tape isnt attractive but I do feel at "hopefully" well in excess of 200 mph Ill take the protection for the car and stability for my backside. I do not want to get airborne.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote